Born to a 16 yr old mother, this boy from Akron made all the childhood hardship a stepping stone to excel and become the game’s greatest.
One Sunday evening while taking a breather from a BasketBall game – yes, another childhood flame which I have rekindled recently – I commented on how the eff do professional ballers (a baller is a term used to refer a basketball player) remain so supremely fit and operate at the highest level for years in such a fast-paced physical sport.
To my remark, one of my good mates (Happy Birthday to him), after this topic surfaced again, commented that a certain legend of the game spends “not $15,000, not $150,000 but $1.5 million every year” to take care of his body in order to draw out his career longer and in order to continue to show devotion to his profession. Devotion which has arguably made him the best player ever in the history of the sport.
A few ingredients of Lebron James’ $1.5M/year fitness bill.
Naturally, all of this is apart from his regular intense physical fitness which one can easily track by following him on IG here.
- Cryotherapy (initial thoughts were that its related to one’s crying habits….no, I am serious!)A pain treatment that Lebron James (LJ) uses to deaden an irritated nerve. The process includes subjecting the body to freezing temperatures. This therapy is also used to treat cancers like prostate cancer. Dermatologists also use this process to treat abnormal skin cells.
- Hyperbaric Oxygen TherapyLeBron’s insane money spending spree also includes Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy. This creates atmospheric pressure in the chamber greater than the sea level for the necessary treatment. Due to this high pressure, you start breathing more oxygen in normal air pressure which produces deep-oxygenating effects and reduces inflammation in the body.
Picture Credit – NBA
It is said to treat a lot of illnesses including asthma.
- NormaTec leg Boots For a certain massage treatment, he also owns a pair of NormaTec leg boots which creates a massage pattern. It is somewhat of a leg recovery system that helps him keep his legs strong. In this piece of equipment, the boots inflate and take a certain posture against your body to help you massage those areas. They get attached in the exact shape to the places in your body such as legs, hips, and arms.
And last but definitely not the least…..Lebron James’ Diet!
LeBron James has his own group of personal chefs who cook the food the way he likes it and the way it does not affect his body in any negative way. Talking about his diet, he doesn’t eat sugar, carbs, or dairy and is known to follow the lowest-possible carb diet. He voluntarily cuts out food groups to help keep in shape. LJ does have cheat days where he splurges on red meat and a lot of sugar. (Key Takeaway)
While you may not agree with this level of spending on his body, LJ is surely getting the worth of all that he is giving. His records and his net worth are demonstrations of the returns.
A minute on his life and extra curricular activities:
1) King James is the NBA’s top-earning player for the seventh straight year, including off-court income. He’s expected to earn $95.4M, including an estimated $64M from endorsements, memorabilia and media in 20/21 season. Soon, he will be a part of the elitist of the elite club of sportspersons with net worth over $1B.
2) He was won the coveted NBA Championship 4x (2012,2013,2016 and 2020) with 3 different franchises – most recently with Los Angeles Lakers!
3) Currently in his 17th season, he is at #3 in total career regular season points scored (34,792), behind the legendary duo of Kareem Abdul Jabbar and Karl Malone. Surprised not to see Michael Jordan’s name there? (Don’t worry – he is at #5).
P.S. Regular season is an 82 game season which involves playing other teams multiple times. Play Offs don’t fall under Regular Season.
4) LJ has done some equally astute business off-court as well. Investments into:
- Liverpool Football Club
- Calm (the app)
- Ladder (founded sports nutrition company with his trainer and none other than Arnold “I will be back” Schwarzenegger)
- Blaze Pizza (one of original founding investors and leading brand ambassador for the nation’s largest and fastest growing fast-casual pizza chain)to name a few.
5) Huge Philanthropy track record dating back to 2004 when he formed ‘The Lebron James Family Foundation’ within his 1st 12 months of turning pro. His “I PROMISE” campaign on school education for kids from Akron (his hometown in the state of Ohio) is one he is immensely proud of.
6) FAMILY always comes first – Inscribed on every insole of every sneaker of every game are the names of Savannah, Bronny, Bryce, and Zhuri – The James Gang. Zhuri, LJ’s 6 year old daughter has a YT channel called “All Zhuri Things” with more than 300k+ subscribers already.
Few NBA players have more handwritten messages on their sneakers than LeBron James.
7) LJ’s son and namesake (Bronny – a 16 year old) is also tearing up the basketball court. Does the 36 year old legend dream of playing with his son one day?
Having said that, Bronny did turn pro recently – for esports and gaming group FaZe Clan and has 331k+ followers on Twitch (a streaming service that allows viewers to watch content and gamers play).
I am certain he already has plans for Bronny all worked out just like his own stellar, glittering career…
….and for that career to undeniably culminate into the best ever, the $1.5M annual tradition got to be persisted with!